...fasten your race chains

6.5.09

centurempt:

Yesterday after my Nervous System practical, Dan and I went out on a ride. As we were leaving Champaign, he said "let's so a century!" Of course I agreed...long rides are my guilty pleasure.  So we set out trying to do a 5 hour century.  Speaking Spanish only.  There was no wind.  

At mile 23 I had to slow Mr. Penner down because he was going over 23 mph and it hurt to keep up.   Keep it between 20 and 22... He didn't have a computer so he thought he was keeping it at 20.. oh oh oh

Dan started bonking at mile 46.  I felt alright, but we were almost out of water.  We rode North toward C-U and went for 10 miles without water until we got to Villa Grove and filled up.  The water tasted like a pool on a mid-summer evening...

After Villa Grove we met with Joseph and rode back to Champaign.  I'm feeling goood..
...
And now the Wednesday night fights..  Not as big a group as last week.  B.Chan rolled up just after we left.  After we turned back toward Champaign, Karl attacked and it broke the group up a bit.  This time I made sure to get in a good position--on Greg's wheel, on the non-windy side of the echelon so I wouldn't get guttered.  I kept up, following Thomas and staying on Ponder's wheel for a while.  After a bit I was struggling to keep up with them, so I dropped back and waited for everyone else who got dropped.  We formed a pretty good chase group and caught up to the lead when they stopped for what we thought was a flat.  A few of us kept going back to town.  I felt strong up until the end.  When we got back to Burwash, we learned that there had been a crash in the lead group.  ?? What happened?  Hope no one was hurt..

MMmm quinoa.

4 comments:

Ragfield said...

> What happened?Not more than a minute after I got dropped the dude on the blue Serotta (I don't know his name) touched the wheel in front of him and lost control. He bounced off the road and slid into the grass. It looked pretty bad from my angle, but he appeared to be mostly alright. He had a lot of road rash, but fortunately not much else.

> MMmm quinoaQuinoa has no flavor. It makes decent filler, but it certainly doesn't make me think "MMmm." :-p

-Rob

Anona said...

Ohh wednesday night crashfest! glad no one was really injured.

and drrr quinoa has no flavor i guess, but i love it... i like it with nutritional yeast, garlic, salt & pepper, tomatoes, avocado and greens.. it's a gloppy mushy combo that i could eat every day :-)

epon said...

Yeah, his name is Chad and it was Thomas' wheel he touched. Sucks. Chad is a fast and strong rider, hope he heals up fast. Did you get a change to whip up some DIY gel ? I've started thinning mine more and I think I like it better. A little more watery than pancake syrup. I have no idea why I thought I could drive the pace that early, silly noobs.

QuickKarl said...

Glad he's ok, hard lesson.