...fasten your race chains

6.2.10

Snowed in

Not a whole lot of bike riding on the east coast; I am snowed in and it sucks.

Philly apparently experienced one of the largest snow storms in its history last night and during the day today. I was at my team's cocktail party last night up in Germantown and it was a really slick and snowy drive back. Not cool. This morning I had to walk the whole 2 miles to campus from our apartment for a meeting (an unfathomable distance for someone who is used to jumping on her bike and being there in 15 minutes) only to find that all sources of caffeine were closed due to the State of Emergency that had been declared due to the massive amounts of snow. Not. Cool.

Lucky for me, I have a new toy to play with. I recently purchased a Nikon D90 (yay for technology loans!!!) but aside from using it to create our new banner, I hadn't had much time to run it through its paces until today. I am smitten. Though I easily could have purchased a set of carbon wheels for the wheel barrow of cash I dropped on the camera, it will allow me to continue to develop my photo skillz (which will hopefully help me land the job that will pay for carbon wheels...).

Week 1 of training went okay. Not great. The combination of the added time it takes to get to decent roads out here and the diminished time I can to devote to riding is frustrating. I need to get into a get-up-early-and-get-your-ass-out-the-door routine if I'm going to do this training thing properly. And it needs to stop snowing. Seriously.

2 comments:

Dr. K said...

as we've said down here in B-more, snOMG. We got dumped on as well. The roads however were decently plowed (5-6 inches of hard pack) and were AWESOME for rolling on the MTB. Hopefully this shit will melt quickly and we can get back to riding skinny tires.

Erik said...

We haven't gotten as much snow in the midwest, but it seems like a constant freeze and thaw that perpetually has ice and salty slush on the roads- I haven't been on my road bike in champaign in 2010... Its also been too snowy/ or too warm for mountain biking at kickapoo. Almost all my riding has occured in St. Louis this year.