...fasten your race chains

5.1.11

Blending with BCHAN


As our loyal readers are probably aware, we here at FastGRRRLZ are huge fans of recovery smoothies. And now that I'm back in the saddle and logging some serious bike time, I'm back on the recovery smoothie bandwagon.

What is so awesome about the recovery smoothie, you ask?

Let me explain. Today for example-- almost four hours in the saddle, post ride core/stretching is over, my toes have defrosted, and I'm STARVING. Unfortunately, it's only 5pm. Too early for dinner, but eating another Clif Bar or those carrots I have in the fridge just aint gonna cut it...

Enter recovery smoothie.

I've been on a sunflower butter and banana smoothie kick lately. Yeah, it's a little fattier than your typical fruit smoothie, but hey, I also just burned 2,000 calories.

All you need is:
1 frozen banana (frozen is key! it maintains the overall consistency of this delightful treat)
Couple ice cubes
Splash of orange juice or other liquid, even tap water will do
A small dollop of sunflower butter (soooo much better than PB!)
2 dollops of low or nonfat plain yogurt
optional: 2 spoonfuls of Gold Medal Aminos*, protein powder or your favorite recovery aid

Throw it all in a blender, magic bullet, food processor, or, heck, I suppose you could even use one of those old fashioned hand held beaters (though if you choose this option, let me know how it goes for ya**). Pour your well blended treat into a glass, and zing! you've got yourself a recovery smoothie!

Bon Appetit!

*These Gold Medal Aminos have been pretty great so far and have really sped my recovery! I'd highly recommend giving them a try.
**Pics or it didn't happen!

5 comments:

Anona said...

Mmmm! Tasty.

I use hemp seed protein (complete protein with complete amino acid profile!), Maca root powder, chlorella, and ginger in addition to fruit/berries and juice/water.

It's got protein, the maca for energy and the aminos, chlorella b/c it's just so good for you, ginger b/c it's super anti-inflammatory!

YAA!!

SiouxGeonz said...

Makin' me hongry here ;)

Guess I'll bring the Xtracycle and blender inside ...

Anona said...

Have you pedal powered your blender yet...? That would be AWESOME!

bCHAN said...

oooh fresh ginger.mmmmm! i'm going to have to get me some Maca root too!! nom nom nom

Axel said...

Anona: http://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicycles/longtail-partners/xtracycle-bike-blender.html

Becky: Blender challenge accepted!