...fasten your race chains

10.1.09

Brrrreak!

Its been a while since I chimed in here, but Miz Miles has been doing a good job of keeping everyone up to date on whats been going down in the C-U.

Several thoughts/comments on recent posts and other activities:

1. Slumdog Millionaire was relatively entertaining. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but I think its supposed to be over the top, sticking with the spirit of Bollywood productions. In any case, it was much better than the other movie I viewed in theaters during break, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. Read: awful.

2. Looking back on the Peoria trip, it was kinda fun. Had I been better prepared I think there would have been a little less melt down on my part. Thanks to my comrades for putting up with me. And to Chevrolet for designing the Impala.

3. We need to make some serious goals for the season. Which is fast upon us! I believe collegiate starts the last weekend in February. I feel horribly unprepared, but isn't getting prepared for the real season what collegiate racing is all about?

4. Additionally we have been on a crafting rampage. Tuesday we decoupaged the kitchen shelf. And a couple nights ago we bedazzled helmets. I think it all looks marvelous.

5. Also, Kitty is getting huge. But more snuggly.

6. Last weekend Axel and I went to The Big City to see Blue Man Group. On the way up we looked at a bunch of different bike shops to see how they are laid out and what they are selling. First stop was Rapid Transit Cycleshop in Wicker Park which was the favorite of the trip due to its friendly mechanics and overall chill vibe. Next we went to Upgrade Cycle Works which had some hot. hot. hot. Felts. Finally we squeezed in a trip to YoJimbo's Garage, which was also way cool, but a little too fixie/track oriented for my ideal kind of shop. (I must say however, they had some hot pink tubulars that I will be keeping an eye out for in the future!) And props to YoJimbo's for starting and maintaining the TrackCats program. The next day we stopped by Turin, always a classic, and Axel almost bought some shoes. Maybe next time. After Turin we hopped on the El and found the new Michigan Avenue Windy City Trek Boutique. It was about what I expected. Lots of Trek. Supposedly its a green shop. Whatever that means.

The neatest thing about these shops were their use of space. Most of the shops are very small and are forced to use all their space from floor to ceiling. I like that feeling of density. And the feeling of needing to look for things. It makes shopping fun.

7. Other than that, I've been enjoying break. There's been lots of trainer riding while screening Transition2 as well as Sex in the City. I hate Sex in the City and I hate myself for watching it. The women in that movie are so stereotypical, their clothing is over the top and I have a great deal of difficulty relating to their characters in anyway. Sarah Jessica Parker (is that her name?) resembles a horse. Yet I can't seem to stop. If anyone has any DVD suggestions, please let me know.

That's all I can think of for now. Time to go ride the trainer. Again.

2 comments:

Anona said...

*Nick loved the Benjamin Button movie.

*you are right about goals; lets do this soon

*I like what you are saying about the shops' use of space. looking for things DOES make shopping fun. It makes for a intimate shopping experience I think. I like pink tubulars too. I would like lightspeed with pink tubulars.

*kitty IS getting huge. now I call him Kicken. Half Kitten, half Chicken. Kicken.

Sophia said...

"Run Lola Run" ! I promise your cadence will be 120rpm+ during the running parts. Happy training :D