...fasten your race chains

30.4.09

the pains of only getting ONE fajita when all the boys get TWO...

Last night's ride was so fun! I rolled up to Burwash Park with Axel & Nick and there were about 30 other people there, including Jess, B.Chan, E.Mart and all of the usual guys. SO MANY PEOPLE WOOOOOOT

We left town going east toward Homer and rode through the hills and turns...super fun route. The weather was perfect and there wasn't a lot of wind. I was riding with Jess, which was good because she's über strong :-) and I pushed myself to take good pulls and stay with her..

after we stopped at homer Lake alex attacked as we were heading back toward town. He tapped me so i followed him and Frenchie. Soon the rest of the group caught up. I thought Jess was just pulling around me because I didn't know the whole group was there too, and the whole group came around and kind of guttered me and i was flustered & didn't know what to do.. and..got...dropped. ........

i struggled to keep my watts at about my 5 minute max and soon caught up to some other people who got dropped, finally catching up to B.Chan, and then rolling back to town with her and Karl and ending up at the Park (where Nick, Axel, Chan & I began quoting our favorite Sesame Street skit).

It was a fun fun ride. I took along some Hammer gel this time and it helped. Again I set record wattage for everything except my 120 minute max. This week I've been setting records in every hard ride and it's confidence boosting. Even when I get dropped, at least I'm making improvements. I really just have no idea what to do in any race situation, but that comes with practice. In any case, I'll never really be able to keep up with the likes of Dave Stone if his wattage at the front of the lead group is almost the same as my 5 second max... oh oh oh ^_^

After the ride we came home to the Shire and all tried to cook dinner in the kitchen at the same time. We all had about two pots going on 4 burners, which doesn't really equal out... Nick's baby bok choy looked fresh & delicious though, as did Chan & Axels fajitas (B only got one...) and although my garbanzo beans were undercooked, the spices were perfect and anything is good with mango pickle. Asparagus with tandoori sauce is amazing btw.

Now I am going to take a long ride if the weather holds out. I'll be making some gel to take along, using sorghum molasses instead of brown rice syrup because it is half the price and I've never tried it...

5 comments:

Erik said...

That ride was a rude reminder to my of just how weak I am now. It was almost comical how despite not feeling that tired I just didn't have the strength in my legs to match the acceleration of Dave Stone.

QuickKarl said...

thanks for coming out to the ride, its always a pleasure to ride with you two.

Anonymous said...

Remember, don't try to compare your wattage directly with somebody else's...what is more important is watts per kg body weight. You are tiny, so you don't have to put out as many Ws as other people.
And you should come out to ride with BChan and I tomorrow, 2:30p, corner of Vine and Pennsylvania.

Anonymous said...

Anona..You said Axel and then Alex...Same guy? Are you two dating? Doesn't he just work two part time jobs and ride his bike all day? What promise does he have?

Anonymous said...

The promise of the American Dream(and a higher Vo2 max than you).

-Barack (yes, I still read this blog)