...fasten your race chains

5.4.09

Re: Attack or Get Off the Front

I raced stupidly.  (Stupid at bikes..)  But Hillsboro is nice; the course was fun & I was totally fit for it...

Beginning of the race:  Chat chat chit-chat chit chit chat chit-chat.  Behind a girl who can't clip in.  Grr..  I couldn't move up.  Girls were squirrelly & talkative.  No drafting, no pace lines, 11 mph, braking on hills, braking down hills, braking on turns, braking...

B.Chan launches an attack.  I think it wasn't easy.  I stayed behind, int he main pack, we caught up...I tried to launch an attack.  It wasn't a good attack really.  I stayed on the front.  Oops.   I got tired, I got on the back for a bit, I fell off.  Road the rest of the race alone, came in 3 seconds behind the main pack.  Tired.  End of race.  Got 15th.  (Field of 35).

Pros:  I am definitely stronger than half the field.  Actually, I am confident that B.Chan are in the top 10 strongest girls if we race smart.   Probably the top 8.  ACTUALLY I know we can win if we race smart.  And if we get our sprints down.  

 This was a huge field of women; this means women's cycling is getting bigger and more popular.  = more fun!

On the starting line, I felt confident and was able to calm my nerves.  I was focused on the race.  

Cons:  I HAVE TO GET OFF THE FRONT!  I have to put all my energy into staying in the pack if I am about to fall off!   

Do not get frustrated if things are annoying and slow at the beginning.  Move up--just ease people out of the way.  Claim a position and defend it.  Get in a place where I don't have to brake on corners and hills.  If I move up carefully, people will get out of my way unless they want to crash.  

Do not waste energy.  Think and REACT.  

It was just the first race.  I learned a lot.  The way I raced yesterday is like a profile of my personality...it's a pattern typical of any of my first endeavors... it's something that's always disgusted me a little.  It's a combination of over-zealousness and frustration out of bounds: it just needs to be tamed with some smart pleats, some nips and tucks.  It's always helpful to think in tailoring analogies..   

Ill figure it out; I'm more confident now than yesterday after the race, and much less disappointed.  In fact, I am really excited!!!

P.S.     To the Unmentionable Cat.3 woman who told Becky and I, after Chan mentioned that she just raced in the 4's, that she would be pleased at the development of a new Cat. 3-4 category because she "could take out any of the 4's":       Bring it!!!!!!  Do you remember 'cross season?  Do you remember how I took you out every single weekend?  I read your blog....I've seen your numbers... I consider your catty remarks to be unexceptional.  

4 comments:

Axel said...

Make the race your own, but keep in mind that you can't outride the entire field if they're working together. Be prepared to attack several times: sometimes you have to soften up the field (this only works if you are a fast grrl). Attack when nobody is willing to work to catch you--either way too early, after another attack, on a hill, in a crosswind, or near the end. That might be the hardest one--there's a sweet spot near the end of a race when everyone has decided to rest up for the sprint. If you go balls out right then, everyone hesitates because they don't have the energy to catch you and then win the race. Better yet, follow an attack like that and over the top when the she flicks you through. I would suggest you and Becky work the end of races like this: Anona covers or launches the all out late flyer and BChan sits near (not on) the front of the field waiting to POUNCE! You could also try doing a proper leadout.

bCHAN said...

Coach Axel? Caxel?

QuickKarl said...

you two have the power, now work on experience and savvy.

Anona said...

thanks axel !!!! thanks for even taking the time to write all that. it makes sense. B.Chan, I feel a lot better about this now.