...fasten your race chains

18.3.09

Oh oh, THESIS WEEK !  The senior thesis is a project that undergrads can choose to do in their last year.  During the fall semester you do research and propose a topic, and this tends to shift around a bit... and during the spring semester you write a long paper.  Mine was very short, at just over 50 pages.  You work with an advisor or two, some of whom provide a lot of assistance, and some of whom just say "go have fun!" and leave you to freak out by yourself.  You get a couple of credit hours each semester for this, and in the end the paper is awarded with Honors or High Honors and I think there's even a higher honor  ...can't remember, and things might have changed.  So yeah..  It's awesome because you get to choose what you want to study, you develop relationships with professors, get a tiny taste of grad school.... but it's also a little bit of hell.  

So I sympathize with B.Chan..  last year I wrote a senior thesis that was due in its final form a couple of weeks after spring break.  I had the entire spring semester to write the paper, and besides that only had 3 classes to worry about...  still I procrastinated and ended up starting the paper on spring break.  I sat at my parents dining room table for at least 8 hours a day writing and eating peanuts...  ugh I got a few pages done.  Somehow though, the thing worked itself out a few days before it was due, and I finished it.  (My advisor was happy with it too.)  B.Chan, you'll do it!  We seem to share the same unhealthy and desultory method of getting stuff done.  
BIKES.  Yesterday the fastgrrrls rode into a brutal north wind toward Sadorus (does a north wind blow FROM the north? this is what I am assuming.) B.Chan turned around, and I kept going toward Ivesdale.  It was so gorgeous that I rode to Bement.  I didn't have much food and no $$$ so I turned around and was pretty hungry when I rolled up to the Shire.  Good ride; hot tan lines.  Today I delivered and got off an hour early so now I have plenty of time to study bones.

Tonight D.Penn and I are invited to dinner at the home of a bike shop regular.  She is going to teach us how to make yogurt!  Details forthcoming.  

Looking forward to training camp!  Every hill is going to be Snake Alley...  

No comments: