...fasten your race chains

17.3.09

Thursday is my "Skeleton Practical" so I am slacking on the blog...  The body has a lot of bones.  I like the Sphenoid bone.  It looks like a bat.  Thoracic vertebrae look like bats!  Wicked!

Saturday we went on our first after work ride of spring.  We all got cold at the end.  I had stayed up too late the night before (hanging out with Mat Braun, HEYOOOO!) so I wasn't feeling too hot.  On Sunday, D.Penn and I showed up a minute late for the 10:30 Druber ride but no one was there.  We waited until 11:00 and decided to leave..must have gotten our times wrong.  It's a good thing we missed it though, because B.Chan and Axel were locked out of the house.  I thought they were just taking advantage of the springy day, but they actually had no keys and were in a time crunch.  Just as we let them in, Axel's ma showed up to pick them up to go to the younger siblings' Catholic school production of a Barry Manilow themed musical.  (PLEASE Axel, more about this!!!)  Axel's mom brought him fresh eggs in a cute wire chicken basket that B.Chan much admired.

Penner and I decided to ride out to Kickapoo.  We left around noon and had a gorgeous ride out, fueling ourselves with delicious home-made energy bars!  Next time they need more calories I think...more nuts!  I took a spill at Kickapoo while trying to cross a small waterfall, and got pissed off for the next 15 minutes or so.  Powertap stopped working (still doesn't work = Major Gripe.) and my new-ish white bib shorts got all muddy & bloody.  I cheered up though because we had a nice tailwind on the way home and really cranked it.  yippeee!  Then we shmoothied (shower + smoothie) and rode over to Crane Alley for an IPA and dinner.  Good day and rode about 80 miles.  Yesterday I rested while Axel rode 140 miles.  Mad props to that crazy boyyy.

I feel like I have a lot of prep to do before our Southern Illinois Spring Break '09.  I need to come up with some ride maps & routes.  Any suggestions?  I don't think it will be too difficult, but I do want to prepare.  Also, I need to get together patch kits, tires, tubes, etc.  I guess there is still plenty of time.

Yesterday I ordered some new gloves and a black Giro Atmos.  Pink just isn't stealthy enough.  

3 comments:

QuickKarl said...

if you are riding with the team, routes are ready.

Anona said...

Oh we are definitely riding with the team, but we are going down a week earlier also. Do you have any maps or routes, or how did you plan your routes?

Jess said...

Long story short, the Druber ride didn't end up leaving 'till 11:30...email list got mixed up, Druber went racing, and a long ride on Sat. I didn't find out until right before the ride left (and didn't make it either). Hope you're feeling alright from the spill. Good luck on the histo exam!!